Pages

Tuesday, May 19, 2020

CLOSED HER EYES AND SWALLOWED HARD

Three hearts and eyes as big as basketballs



A few years ago, during an interesting conversation with my mom, she mentioned an experience she had while visiting one of the islands of Malta. This is the Mediterranean Island where Paul the Apostle (in the Bible) was shipwrecked. Mom was with my sister and brother in law and they reached the islands by ship as well.

Turns out they were invited to dinner at one of the islander's homes and the main course of the evening meal was squid.  (my only experience with squid is to use it for bait, assuming I can overlook the smell and slime).  Not wanting to offend their hosts, Mom "closed her eyes and swallowed hard". 

Her comments made me curious about this creature so I found these 5 interesting facts:
  • Every squid features three hearts. They also move through the water tail first instead of head first. 
  • The giant squid have eyeballs that are the same size as a standard basketball.
  • Some of the larger squid can weigh more than 1,000 pounds.
  • Many species of squid have a life span that is only about one year.
  • Some species of squid have been found to live more than 13,000 feet deep in the water.
Who knows, next time I'm deep sea fishing I might not bother to take a lunch.


No comments:

Post a Comment