Pages

Wednesday, April 1, 2020

REACH OUT, I'LL BE THERE



The year was 1967.  I parked my car on Third Street in Harrisburg and started the long walk to my apartment. I had just spent $2 dollars on gas, and even though a gallon of gas was thirty-five cents back then, my 1963 Dodge always seemed to be on empty.

And during this time my life was on empty too. I had no idea why I was on this earth or what in the world I was going to do with my life. I had recently lost my job, my rent was due and my car payment was late. As strange as it sounds, a Motown song played a role in turning my life around that day.

In the late '60's I carried a GE transistor radio wherever I went (the high tech kind that worked with batteries). So, while I was walking down third street a popular song called "Reach Out, I'll Be There" started to play. The song seemed eerily spiritual, almost like it was a message, not from a guy to a girl, but from God directly to me. It remains one of the times in my life when I categorically claim a special moment with God. Here are some of the words I remember..... 

"Now, if you feel that you can't go on, and all your hope is gone. Your life is filled with much confusion, and happiness is just an illusion. And your world is tumblin' down. When you feel lost and about to give up, And your best just ain't good enough. And your world is growin' cold. And you keep driftin' on your own. - I'll be there, to love and shelter you, I'll be there, Reach out to me."  

Well, on that day I reached out and made some important decisions about my relationship with God. And in a matter of months things started to make sense. I chose to be re-united with my family and the church and met a special girl that I ended up marrying.

Now you could say that I'm making more of the song than I should, but almost 55 years have passed since that day, and I am more convinced than ever that it was a critical, pivotal point in my life. 

I call it my "MOTOWN MOMENT"

No comments:

Post a Comment