Pages

Tuesday, February 4, 2020

CRADLE TO GRAVE


CRADLE TO GRAVE takes on literal meaning when I reflect on my birth in Findlay, Ohio.  On February 4, 1947 mom and I were transported from the hospital to our home in a hearse.  This was common back then and I am not sure why this service hasn't continued, since it seems like logical income for funeral homes. If the funeral director does a good job getting you from the hospital to your cradle, there is additional business waiting for him.....to get you to your grave.    


Death.  Something each one of us will face....and today I was reflecting on experiences in my life when this 5 letter word became too real for comfort.  Reminders like.......

When I was 14, my best friend got hit by a car and instantly killed.  I recall his distraught mom saying to me at his funeral, "why did this have to be my son?"

LESSON - "death is no respecter of age, and the worst pain is for a child to be taken from a parent"

My young daughter and I were the first to encounter a fatal accident.  I was first to reach his car and but there was nothing I could do.

LESSON - "life is precious and no one knows when it will end".

Standing outside of Polyclinic Hospital just after being notified that my dad died.  To this day I recall his very real presence with me there, even though he was gone.

LESSON - "there is a life waiting for us immediately after we die."

Not sure when I will catch my last hearse ride, but I am so thankful for the certainty of my eternal life. How can I be so certain?  Sounds a little presumptuous, doesn't it?  For me, it is based solely on the price Jesus paid.  Because of Him, when the hearse arrives it will be the beginning of a new life that has no end. 

I also wrote about other personal experiences reminding me of this 5 letter word on my December 31 posting.  Click HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment