Pages

Tuesday, December 18, 2018

THE LANGUAGE OF THE MIND


On this day three years ago we saw Kenny Rogers in concert at Luhr's Performing Arts Center at Shippensburg University. 



There is a reason that this 80 year old is worth $250 million. The guy is really talented.

Every time we go to these kind of concerts we wonder about the story behind the performer. I'm sure Kenny's life story is interesting, and I guess in his case, fame and fortune came with a cost, since he is on his fifth marriage. 

One vivid memory from the concert was when sound and footage of a band called "Teddy Hill & the Southern Soul Band" appeared on the large screen behind Kenny and his band. We wondered what was going on. I will try to describe what happened next, but not sure it's possible to describe.

Kenny was standing on stage, but the only sound was from Teddy Hill and his band. That is, until the chorus of the song. Then, while Teddy Hill was still singing, they slowing faded his sound down as Kenny's mic was slowly turned up (Kenny was singing the same words). The sound from Kenny's band also replaced the band on the video, seamlessly. And Kenny and the band finished the song in perfect sync with the imagery on the large screen.

I've never seen a more creative use of video during a live performance, and it made sense, since Kenny and the First Edition recorded the same song in 1968. 

The performance and video were impressive, but the song, not so much. Check out these words to the song....
I pushed my soul in a deep dark hole and then I followed it in, 
I watched myself crawlin' out as I was a-crawlin' in. 
I got up so tight I couldn't unwind, 
I saw so much I broke my mind, 
I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in.
The rest of the concert was vintage Kenny Rogers. (Through the Years, Lady, etc.). But the fact that the creative use of video sticks in my mind after three years, speaks to the power of imagery. 

Some call imagery "The Language of the Mind". 

No comments:

Post a Comment