Pages

Friday, December 7, 2018

PECULIAR EVENTS IN OUR LIVES

The George Bush funeral service in the Rotunda included a benediction given by Barry C. Black, Chaplain, U.S. Senate. Barry wrote a book I read about 6 months ago, and I wanted to share one excerpt;
"Late in life, C. S. LEWIS revealed how he learned to enjoy the unexpected ways that God surprises people with his presence and power. Those who would stay fearless in a predatory world must learn to enjoy God’s surprises. 

My own life has been a journey through which God has surprised me with unexpected transcendent moments. One of my first encounters with him occurred when I saw the starry heavens in a dark, rural sky. To a city boy like me, the stars seemed so splendid and bright that they looked like a fireworks display. I whispered in the night, “What a wonderful world!” Later, the opportunity to live in the mountains of Peru brought similar emotions of unexpected discovery. 

Even later, I had a wonderful encounter with the Holy Spirit, who transformed my life and led me into an experiential relationship with Jesus Christ that I could not have anticipated. I have learned to enjoy God’s surprises. In the words of the Frankie Laine standard, “Every time I hear a newborn baby cry or touch a leaf or see the sky, then I know why I believe.”




No comments:

Post a Comment