Pages

Saturday, January 17, 2015

FORGET ABOUT THE PAIN


My hope after retirement was to exercise everyday.

However, it became nearly impossible to consistently log miles without some incentive. I simply got bored. What became my incentive? I'm glad you asked! And hopefully my explanation may help someone who may be struggling with a new year's resolution. So here we go.

My daily trek is to the Dover YMCA fitness center. They don't have internet connectivity, so I had to figure out a way to watch videos and movies off line. I did, and it has made all the difference. Most days my body is begging me to get off of the treadmill after 20-30 minutes, but I don't - because I want to see the end of the movie. 

Typical Youtube video on the treadmill
This is my Kindle Fire on the treadmill. I fabricated a simple metal flange that tilts the Kindle away from the reflection of overhead lights.

"
My wireless Blue Tooth headphones provide high quality audio. I can walk to the back of the treadmill and adjust volume without touching the Kindle Fire. I'm telling you, it is easy to get lost in a movie and completely forget about time and pain. This has been the key to consistency for me. Generally, I take two sessions to watch a two hour movie. I simply note the time where I stopped the movie on my Kindle, along with how many miles I logged for the day. 

Today I did 2.10 miles, did the same yesterday, and will do about the same tomorrow. I try to visit the fitness center 7 days a week, which has allowed me to consistently hit my monthly goal of 60 miles. Our daughter Tammy can knock off 60 miles in three days, but I find the daily trek for a month is better for an ancient guy like me.  Try it. If you have questions about how things are connected, just leave me a comment in the box below. 

2 comments:

  1. Yes. It was yesterday's 4 minute exercise in a 12 week program I'm taking called "The Artist's Way". Interesting. We can discuss sometime?

    ReplyDelete