Pages

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

CONRAD RITCHEY


11-2-2016 - Mechanicsburg, PA Cemetery

I spent part of a crisp November day today with our 94 year old mom at dad's gravesite. It is his birthday today and Mom has now lived longer without him, than the 33 years they were married.



Dad would have been 99 years old today. He taught me many life lessons, not the least of which was how to love my wife. I recall him treating my mom like a queen. When I was a teenager my parents tried to implement rules, but keeping rules didn't seem to change my behavior. What made more of an impact was their example; like how my dad treated my mom. 

I guess that's what happened with God a while back. He realized that people weren't able to keep a bunch of rules, so He sent Jesus who showed us what God was really like. Finally people understood real love, and those that chose to follow Him chose to change their behavior. Bruxy Cavey puts it this way, "The Jesus of the Bible lives by a simple philosophy: If love guides our hearts, rules become redundant. Love, embraced as a guiding orientation of other-centeredness, will always lead us to do the right thing.” 

Anyway, after graduating Findlay College he became a school teacher - but this didn't bring in enough money to support his family. So he got a job as an electrician at TRW, where he worked until he went to heaven in 1977. (age 59).


Our Dad's legacy is kept alive by 15 grandkids and 40+ great grandkids scattered around the world.  Great memories of a life well lived. (Save me a seat, Dad) 



13 comments:

  1. Dad loved technology in 1977. Can you imagine what he would think today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dad - kind, funny, smart....I looked up to him so much. He would come home from work and I would sit by the couch where he rested and talk to him about his day. One of the memories I have is doing cryptograms with him. We would race to see who could complete the word puzzle first - also battleship - so much fun for me - to do this with my dad.
    He was a great Christian man - He taught us about forgiveness, when he was treated unjustly by a wealthy neighbor who wanted his land. He did not choose bitterness. I remember him and Grandpa debating theology. I loved to listen to them. They loved to talk about Revelation and the end times. His salvation is sure now. Heavens beauty must be thrilling to him because he loved the earthly land that he owned, and Heaven is beauty intensified. He Loved nature - and taught us all to appreciate the beauty of it. He loved his hammock. I can picture him laying in the hammock - soaking in the nature sounds. I remember picnics in the meadow - ice skating on the creek. It was a wonderful way to grow up.
    I remember his beautiful singing voice - and the joy he received from singing. Did you say one memory? There are so many. I cannot wait to see him again.
    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who has posted this? Larry? This is Carol
      Baker (maiden name) I am Carol Dunbar in Puerto Vallarta Mexico. I loved your family so dearly. Hope you will connect. Email georgewifey@yahoo.com

      Delete
  3. I loved our camping memories. The time we were camping in the tent and it rained and we started singing one song after another.
    The time we were sitting in church and he fell asleep but thought he was called on to pray and stood up in the middle of the service.
    Dad worked a lot and was always so tired. I appreciate all he did for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patricia Ritchey Ridings My favorite memories with Dad were outdoors. I remember riding on the tractor with Dad while he was mowing and we would talk and talk...he made me feel so loved and seemed to appreciate my company and it made me feel so special. My all time favorite outing was the overnight canoe trip with Dad, Larry and Don. We camped on an island in the Susquehanna River. I got scared when a bug crawled in my sleeping bag, so I crawled in Dad's sleeping bag with him!! What a great Dad he was!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have many great memories of Dad! He always had time to do things with me, and loved to spend time with our family. Many great memories of traveling as a family, as it was a time that we all could do things together. Dad would sometimes surprise us and come home on a Friday after work and announce “Let’s go camping!” Mom was always willing to pack things up quickly and we always had a great time. Also, Dad and I enjoyed pheasant hunting together, canoeing and spending time outdoors and doing things on the farm. Dad impressed on me the importance of studying scripture and knowing what you believe, even if it was different than the doctrine of the church we attended. He always set a good example of being a Christian and making good decisions. My wife Debbie only got to be with Dad a short time before he died but has a comment: I visited Dad at Don’s house while he was recovering from his heart attack. I always appreciated that Don’s Dad helped me beat Don playing Monopoly because it was the one time that we spent time together. I am grateful that I got to know him at least a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just re-read these comments. Great siblings. Feeling blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Being the oldest of all the grandkids, I was fortunate to have known Grandpa Ritchey the longest. How blessed I was that he was a part of my life, even if it was only for seven short years. The thing I remember most about him were his gentle eyes, and his soft-spoken voice. I also vividly remember swinging on the hammock with him--which is probably one of my earliest childhood memories. I really wish that all of my kids would've had the chance to know him. In my opinion, theres no better example of the heavenly father than my own dad, and my grandpa… What a great example my dad had, and I am so blessed. I can't wait to see him again in heaven, and I know he's with my three angel babies, and has been taking good care of them until I get there! ❤️

    ReplyDelete