Pages

Sunday, June 29, 2014

IT'S NOT ABOUT YOU

"If you want to find purpose and meaning you need to give your life away"

.
Sounds strange, but this is the message we heard in church this morning, and reminders like this keep me coming back every week.  Before we entered the church doors I already knew it was important to serve others - if I am to have a sense of purpose in my life. But even at my age, maybe especially at my age, I need to hear this again.  And again. 

Two years ago when I retired  I'm not sure what I expected, but it's amazing how many of my retired friends struggle with a purpose for the remainder of their life.  No longer working, some find it hard to fill their day.  Ironically, most of these guys spent most of their work day wishing they had more control over their time.  Work gave structure and purpose, something they miss during retirement.  

But this morning, this fresh reminder served as motivation for me to be alert for more opportunities to serve others.  It really does make sense.  When we give our life away, life takes on a whole new meaning and purpose. A long time ago Jesus said, "If your first concern is to look after yourself, you'll never find yourself."  

I found this in a health magazine. "If you see someone who is drowning and throw him a rope, he gets a benefit, no question about it. But you will too. Your body floods with feel-good chemicals. You get a buffer from life’s stresses. Your heart beats a little healthier. Your immune system perks up. Your mood lifts.  Do this kind of neighborly thing on a regular basis and studies suggest you may live longer." 




(to view previous posts on this blog please click HOME button above)

No comments:

Post a Comment