Pages

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

MEMORIES, SCARY MOUSE, SCARY BIRD, SCARY DRIVER

MEMORIES from my working days were the subject of my post on Sunday, January 12.  When thinking back on work, it's interesting that I recall places I visited and relationships with people, rather than projects or paychecks. 

One on-going relationship that I currently enjoy is a weekly meeting at Paneras with a former co-worker.  We reminisce like a couple of girly girls over coffee, sometimes for more than 2 hours.  Just this morning we shared these silly stories....

SCARY MOUSE - During most of my young adult life I went hunting.  One year we stayed in a small trailer in Potter County, which was empty all year except during hunting season.  It was warm and cozy - but loud.  The noise?  What seemed like hundreds of field mice had also made their home between the walls and above the drop ceiling.  It was amazing how loud it got since they were constantly on the move.

Anyway, after we finished our prep for the morning hunt we decided to get some sleep.  The other guys started snoring the minute they hit their cot, but I stayed awake listening to our unseen friends.  Finally I fell asleep, that is until 3am when I felt something on my chest.  Turns out a mouse decided to spend the night right in front of my face.  Amazing how big the eyes look on a little mouse when they are inches away. 

It took me less than 5 seconds to spend the rest of the night in the car.

SCARY BIRD is the best way to describe what my dad encountered about 60 years ago.  I'm told a bird was hiding under Dad's 1946 Ford - but jumped into his baggy pants just as he got in to the car to drive away.  Problem is, dad had no idea that the quiet bird was hiding in his pant leg. That is, until he hit the brake and the bird got excited.  Dad came to a screeching halt and in the middle of the road stopped, jumped out of the car and began violently shaking his fluttering leg.  I'm told it was a traffic stopper.

SCARY DRIVER - Two guys reminiscing don't take long to compare teenage stories, especially about driving.  My Dad's pride and joy was a shiny black 1949 Desoto Convertible.  When I turned 16 this is what I wanted to drive. And I did. The day after I got my license I was heading down the Carlisle Pike when two cars ahead of me made a quick stop.  All cars got stopped, except for the black Desoto. 

No comments:

Post a Comment