Pages

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

TIME MARCHES ON


Today I was again reviewing my 30 year old file on the UAW strike @ Borg-Warner Corporation in York, PA. When I worked there I took lots of pictures during the strike; this one from the roof of the Administration Building.

It was a drizzly and dreary day (much like today) and shows striking workers blocking the Richland Avenue entrance. One of the key issues of the strike was Health Care. (guess not much has changed in 30 years)

YORK DAILY RECORD 1984 

One worker was quoted in the York Newspaper, "I don't care how long we have to stay out. I'll stand here in the rain, the sleet, the snow, as long as it takes to get what we want." 

In 1920 there were 7,500 employees at this location, in 1984 there were 1,200 striking workers. Since then, I believe some of the manufacturing operation has been moved to Mexico. 

No comments:

Post a Comment