Pages

Friday, May 15, 2015

THIS IS NOT OUR HOME

Lancaster County Prison
Toward the end of the 1990's I got a call from this castle in Lancaster. 

The prison needed a communication link between the inmate showers in the basement and the guard station, just off the main entrance. After getting through security, a guard was given the assignment to accompany me to the shower area. I didn't realize this would require walking down long hallways through multiple barred doors, and that each door would be locked behind us. I recall praying that nothing would happen to the guard, or I may spend the rest of my days in a castle. 

Needless to say it was an interesting visit, since I had to walk around the real life inmates while they were singing and showering, as I got distances and details for each intercom location. Actually, I was pleasantly surprised at the friendliness and courtesy given by the inmates.


   THIS IS NOT OUR HOME   

I remembered the Lancaster castle visit today while viewing the latest TED Talk about a small group of women.  


The nine women have all been sentenced to life in prison and they share a moving song about their experiences — one that reveals their hopes, regrets and fears. "I'm not an angel," sings one, "but I'm not the devil." 

Filmed at an independent TEDx event inside Muncy State Prison, it's a rare and poignant look inside the world of people imprisoned with no hope of parole. They sing the song, "This Is Not Our Home".

Click HERE to view the the TED Talk. 

Click HERE to view the song lyrics. 

No comments:

Post a Comment