Pages

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

WAS OUR GRASS MOWED?


The ability to "observe" was the trait that a perspective employer was looking for in their new lab technician.


I was 19 years old and ready to impress their socks off.  Like most teenagers, I figured anyone could be a lab tech. And with 20 seconds to spare I parked my 1963 Dodge Hemi convertible and ran in the front door of the large office building.  A sign to their suite directed me up a couple of steps, down a hall and up a slight ramp. 

When I arrived, the personnel director waved me into his office.  He asked if I had any questions about the open position and I said no.  And then came his tough questions.

"Was our grass mowed in front of the building?"  
"Did our sign have blue letters on white or white letters on blue?"  
"Was the flag next to the parking lot at full or half mast?" 
I was stunned - since I didn't see any grass and didn't even look at their sign.  And a flag?  He had one last question.  "What floor are we on right now?"  Now the first three questions were bad enough, but I quickly remembered going up some steps and ramps and realized I had no idea what floor I was on!   

No job offer on that day, but it is interesting that I have never forgotten these questions in the 40 years since this interview. I quickly learned that you never go into an interview without having done research about the company. And to this day, before I enter a building, I check out the grass. 


To see a previous post about the importance of observation click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment