Pages

Saturday, March 29, 2014

A SONG, A BUS, A BOOK, AN INVITATION

1995 was a good year.  Our youngest daughter was 5 years old and ready to start  kindergarten.  She went on to graduate valedictorian of Dover High School and graduated Magna Cum Laude from Messiah College.   

This was also the year we first visited a church called Stillmeadow, and we had no idea how much this visit would impact our lives during the next 20+ years.  Our journey at Stillmeadow started with four seemingly insignificant events.  These events were a song, a bus, a book, and a special invitation.

A SONG - During one of our early visits, a lady named Sue sang a song called  "The Brush"  The words describe how God wants to paint a beautiful picture of our lives, but we keep taking the brush from Him.  Problem is, on our own we make a mess of our painting. 

On that day it seemed like God took the brush we offered and started painting our lives all over again.  After more than 20 years at Stillmeadow, to this day I will never forget the song called "The Brush".  Thank you Sue!

A BUS - We liked the church but my wife and I didn't know anyone.  On our first visit we heard about an upcoming men's retreat, but this was way out of my comfort zone. 

But I had given up my brush. 

The following Friday night I found an empty seat on the retreat bus, all the time thinking "Am I nuts?  What am I doing here?"  In less than two minutes a guy named Steve sat down next to me, asked my name and proceeded not only to be my new friend on the bus, but for the entire weekend. 

A new painting begins. 

We broke into small groups at the retreat - and the group I was part of has continued to meet weekly ever since!  Almost 20 years! 

Thinking back, had I not given up my brush, I would have never been found at a men's retreat, or part of a weekly group that has shaped my life ever since.  And as I look back I am convinced that Steve was making himself available to be part of God's plan for my life. The theme of our retreat in 1995 was "Change my Heart".  God knew if I kept my brush, I would continue to mess up - not just my life, but our (now 50 year) marriage, our incredible 3 kids and our 14 "masterpiece" grandkids. Thank you Steve!

A BOOK - A few weeks after we started attending Stillmeadow the Senior Pastor took the time to take me to his library to suggest I read the book "Abba's Child".  Written by Brennan Manning, the book describes how many of us live our lives as impostures - hiding who we really are.  God wasn't interested in creating a fake painting and this book helped me realize it's OK with Him (and others) for me just to be me. 

This book had a profound impact on my life when I began to understand statements like “Define yourself radically as one beloved by God. This is the true self. Every other identity is illusion.”  

Since that time I have purchased all of Brennan's books, enjoyed a telephone conversation with him and have spent time on one of his retreats.  Brennan is gone now, but I look forward to spending some quality time with him again soon. Thank you Bud for pointing me to a book that "Changed My Heart" so my painting would be authentic. 

AN INVITATION - Dave Tharp was the Public Worship Pastor at Stillmeadow in 1995.  Beyond his gifts of leadership in worship and music, he had a special gift of encouragement, both to me and my wife.  I still have his note thanking me for playing saxophone in the orchestra, even though I hadn't played since high school.  Sometimes I would miss coming in at the right place when playing a song.  Dave would look at me, smile, and continue to direct the orchestra. 

I recall that one thank you note from Dave was pasted on top of some music help books.  He took the time to purchase these at a local music store - just for me.  Under his direction, the orchestra was one of the highlights of my week, in spite of my struggle to play to his high standards.  I don't recall everything he did in worship, but when I think of Dave Tharp I get a warm feeling that he was someone who accepted me for who I was, and encouraged me to strive for excellence. 

I recently found one of many notes he gave my wife before she joined the choir.  The notes read, "Jody, we have a seat reserved for you with the Celebration Singers"  Because of his encouragement, not only did she finally join the choir, she made friendships that have lasted to this day.  Thank you Dave! 

Today I really value the entire Stillmeadow community.  Reflecting back over the last 20 years, I am amazed at how God was at work in our lives.  I don't believe it was a coincidence that Sue, Steve, Bud and Dave either sang, said or did the very thing we needed at the perfect time.  And now God continues to paint our canvas - as we live ready for whatever comes next.
 

1 comment:

  1. Humbled by your comments, Larry. You and your wife hold a special place in the story of my "painting", too. Love you guys and are happy to call both of you my friends. Sue

    ReplyDelete