Pages

Saturday, September 10, 2022

Our Grandson's LATEST UPDATE

Appalachian trail, week 3…

Washout in the Whites and Walking up Washington

"Saying this week was a crazy and awesome adventure would be an understatement. I survived the White Mountains!!! It started off pretty mellow since rain took us off trail for 2 days. My feet were happy about this— my wallet, not so much. I started my journey to Washington after the rain cleared and learned how Webster cliffs got its name. Once I found myself in the presidential alpine zone, the hiking got easier, and the views got even prettier. I worked for dining and lodging at some AMC huts; it was cool meeting the people that keep up with the crazy volume of tourists in this area. After the presidential range (arguably my favorite day on trail) was over, I climbed up the sketchy Wildcat mountains and scaled the Carters. This led to the final climb to Moriah mountain, then last of the 4,000+ foot peaks in the Whites.

I’ll be in Maine tomorrow!!!! Last state baby, Mahoosuc Notch (the hardest mile on the entire trail) to Katahdin here I come!"

No comments:

Post a Comment