Pages

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

LATEST LISTENS AND READS

 Brian HardinReframe: (book, Daily Audio Bible Podcast, videos)


Daily Audio Bible is a great addition to a podcast list. The founder and daily reader, Brian Hardin, ends each podcast with thoughtful summeries that are well..... thought provoking! Check out comments from his latest book  "Reframe":
“The same passion God has for us, we need to have for Him, and that has ignited a fire inside me. A revolutionary fire.”

“God has heaped gifts on you that are beyond extravagant. You’ve been given the gift of the Holy Spirit to tell you the truth. You have the gift of the Holy Scriptures to guide your every step and decision. You have the gift of a gorgeous, lavish, exquisite planet to live on. You’ve been given the gift of companionship. You have the gift of precious children. You’ve been given the gift of an existence that will never, ever end. You have the gift of God’s own Son. And that’s barely scratching the surface of the generosity that God has bestowed on you.” 
"The Cleaner" was a TV series from 2007. The main character, William Banks is a recovering drug addict who lives in Los Angles. When his daughter was born, he made a deal with God that he would give up drugs and devote his life to help other people to beat their own harmful additions. I viewed 26 episodes so far and was struck by a guy who is not at all religious, but a guy who is in continual conversation with God. I was left with an obvious question.....are serious conversations with God few and far between because religion seems to get in the way? Some of the dialogue by William Banks is well..fascinating! Check this out:
"There are four things that amaze me, even though now I finally think I've begun to understand them. In fact, it's the very fact that I understand them that makes them so amazing. The way of an eagle in the sky. The way of a ship at sea. The way of a serpent on a rock. And the way a man loves a woman. And for me, there's a fifth thing, more amazing than the eagle, more inspiring than the ship, more potent than the serpent, and even more beautiful than the man and the woman. It's the way of the family, because without them, there's nothing worth loving."
In a scene where William Banks was at a graveside, he sounds like a 2016 David....
"How many times have I seen this? More to the point, how many times have you? I can't imagine what's it's like to have the power to move mountains...and yet, you have to stand by and watch this. I get that everything happens for a reason. And I get the mysterious ways in which you move. But I wonder if moments like this cause even you to doubt. To question... us. I used to wish I had your vision, the ability to see the big picture. But then to see things like this... I wouldn't want it. This deal we made, I made, sometimes I think I understand it. And what's next? Another lost innocent. Another death. Another funeral? Yeah, sometimes I understand it. And sometimes...
Bruxy Cavey - End of Religion (book, podcasts and videos)
Latest Book - My pastor suggested I read Bruxy Cavey's book which has made me re-evaluate some long buried spiritual issues. I am sorting through important questions about how a passionate relationship with Christ can be hindered by religion. Here are a couple of Bruxy's comments from his book:
"Our world is full of people on a quest for ultimate reality-truth seekers who are moving toward spirituality as quickly as they are moving away from religion.”
Think of how our world would be different if people embraced this one teaching of Jesus: We are all family.” 
Two thousand years ago God started a revolt against the religion He started. So don’t ever put it past God to cause a groundswell movement against churches and Christian institutions that bear His name. If He was willing to turn Judaism upside down, don’t think for a moment our institutions are safe from a divine revolt. I am convinced that even now there are multitudes of followers of Jesus Christ who are sick and tired of the church playing games and playing down the call of God. My travels only confirm that the murmurings of revolution are everywhere. I am convinced that there is an uprising in the works and that no one less than God is behind it. (Erwin McManus)

No comments:

Post a Comment