Pages

Monday, February 20, 2017

RUMORS OF ANOTHER WORLD


Years ago I'm glad I took advice from my friend Bud. The advice? He said when he reads a book, he marks the page number and a one sentence description in the front for future reference.



Today I noticed my personal notes inside the front cover of Yancey's book "Rumors From Another World". This is such a great way to find interesting passages, long after reading the book. Here's an entry that I made eleven years ago. 

P. 46 - Yancey describes his trip to Costa Rica where they observed giant leatherback turtles laying their eggs.  He reflects on what he saw:
"I sat on a piece of driftwood and thought of the immensity of the world within the sea. How little of creation do we humans understand, much less control: the wonders of instinctual behavior, the rhythms of nature that go on whether any humans observe them or not, the comparative smallness of human beings.  I made a conscious choice to turn the memory of the previous night into an act of gratitude, even worship.  It had put me in my place."  
(guess we are not so hot after all)


No comments:

Post a Comment