Pages

Sunday, March 20, 2016

WHOLEHEARTED PARENTING


Been really enjoying this gift from our youngest daughter. I am currently reading chapter seven, "Wholehearted Parenting" - Daring To Be The Adults We Want Our Children To Be." This is interesting on three levels:



LEVEL #1 speaks to me
It is amazing how much one learns about themselves during retirement. Since chapter 7 was about parenting, I wasn't sure sure the book would be relevant, since parenting days are behind us. But it has been helpful for me, at my age, right now.
LEVEL #2 speaks to our kids
This chapter caused me to reflect on how we raised our kids. Frankly, we were far from perfect but did our best. Good times and messy times. If I could do it again, I would wholeheartedly focus on my example, rather than their behavior. 
LEVEL #3 speaks to our grandkids
And now, we are watching how our kids are raising their kids. I am praying that they will only remember what we did right. Like it or not, we leave a wake behind the boat called "our life". 
Anyway, I was traveling with a counseling "expert" a few years ago who said, "I have this parenting thing all figured out and my kids are going to turn out perfectly." But that attitude wasn't what Brene' Brown was describing in her book. She had "real" parents in mind when she says, "Wholehearted Parenting" will get messy. But messy or not, parenting, along with other parts of our life, will never be as perfect as we want them to be. I like her comments in chapter 7 about doing our best, even if it doesn't turn out as we hoped.....

"A 20 minute walk that I do, is better than the four mile run that I don't do. An imperfect book that gets published is better than the perfect book that never leaves my computer. The dinner party of takeout Chinese food is better than the elegant dinner that I never host." 

Daring Greatly turned out to be a great read, so much so that my next purchase will be another Brene' Brown book, "The Gifts Of Imperfection".  


Really appreciate the gift Melody. I have good thoughts when I reflect on you. 

To view one of Brene Brown's TEDTalks click HERE
To view Brene Brown's website click HERE

Previous Posts 

No comments:

Post a Comment