Pages

Monday, October 12, 2015

OVERREACTION


"Sally, I think I'm going to die!"

It may seem odd, but I recalled this "overreaction" while my wife and I were celebrating our 46th wedding anniversary in Lancaster, PA this past weekend.

"I think I'm going to die" came from my panicked friend Bud to his wife Sally a few years ago, when for no apparent reason he started regurgitating a series of nasty, metallic burps. He was sure this was it, the end of his life. "Sally, I'm sure these are symptoms of a fatal gastrointestinal disease."


Turns out Sally reminded the tearful Bud that he took fish oil pills that morning and that everything would be OK. She assured him he will live to see another day.   



"Jody, I think something is seriously wrong."

At sunset Saturday evening we were enjoying our stay at Sleep Inn Suites, when the entire room started going really bright and then almost completely dark. The eerie thing was this was happening in a constant, very regular pulse....light, then dark....dark, then light. Uncanny. I immediately started thinking atomic bomb, terrorism, no more Amish, the end of the world. We looked out the large window and saw that the pulsating light was coming from behind the trees. But what would make it constantly pulse?  

I jumped in the car and drove down the highway to behind the trees. Turns out the setting sun was unusually bright that evening, and before it came through the trees and into our room, it came through the windmill at a restaurant called Dutch Haven. The windmill was turning in a very regular, constant circle. 

I came back to the room and my wife said she was happy everything was OK. And she assured me that the Amish and I will probably live to see another day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment