Pages

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

COMCAST + NORTON = FULL HARD DRIVE

SIZE OF FILE PRIOR TO REMOVING NORTON BACKUP

For the last year I haven't been able to figure out why the hard drive on my laptop was full.
I would remove files, only to have the hard drive fill up again. Turns out Comcast offers Norton Anti-Virus with their internet service, and by default it backs up your files. From what I can determine, it routinely backs up ALL files each time, instead of just NEW files. Result? A full hard drive. 

I purchased a 2 terabyte external drive for back up and reloaded Norton. Problem is, if you uninstall Norton, it doesn't remove the large back-up file. So I had to go back in and do that manually. I then turned off back up in Norton, to avoid the problem in the future. 

Just wanted to spare others the countless hours I spent solving this problem. You may want to do a search for "N360" and right click to see how much space this file is taking on your computer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment