Pages

Sunday, May 31, 2015

THROW AWAY YOUR MASK


In his sermon today, our youth pastor challenged the graduating seniors to "not wear a mask" and to be themselves.....be the same person with all people, and don't act one way with some people and a different way with others." 

One reason I enjoy sermons at our church is that they connect in a meaningful and unique way with each person, including me. I suppose all of us are guilty of being overly concerned what others think of us. The pastor's comments were important for the young to hear, as they begin a new chapter in their life. But I hope the old guys were listening as well. (assuming they can still hear). 

For me, his comments reminded me of what Brennan Manning called "Our Impostor Within" or false self that whispers "don’t be your real self because nobody likes you as you are. Invent a new self that everybody will admire” 

It's kind of a cruel irony that older people try to remain youthful. Why do we do this? First, people that try to cover up their age sometimes look silly. But there's a more important reason for seniors to embrace their real self. Our youth need older people. They are bombarded every day with the voices of their friends and need the balance of experience and wisdom. 

The sermon also reminded me of something I posted by Robert Blake last year that went something like this: "As I grow older, I care less and less what people think about me and more and more what God thinks of me. I expect to be with him much longer than with you.”



Shot this picture at Pinchot Park earlier this year

Pastor Josh ended his comments with Matthew 10:31 (my paraphrase). "So as you enter this next chapter in life, don't be afraid. You are special just as you are. In fact, you are worth more than many swallows."

No comments:

Post a Comment