Pages

Saturday, May 2, 2015

LIVING FOREVER


What would it be like to live forever?

Friday evening was date night and my wife and I saw "The Age of Adaline". The movie was about a woman who meets and loses her husband during the construction of the Golden Gate bridge, then miraculously survives a car wreck and emerges as ageless, whose looks are frozen at age 28. She will never die of natural causes or succumb to the usual ravages of time. 

Living forever (on this earth) is not what it's cracked up to be, especially when everyone else around you is aging. The woman spends the rest of her life running from entanglements of every kind, and whenever anyone gets hip to the fact that she never ages, she slips away in the night and starts over as someone else. 

When we were walking into the theater I wasn't sure about this movie. And for the first half I was ready to write it off as just OK, but the second half of the movie became compelling, almost powerful. This morning I read that some critics of the movie think this is Harrison Ford's best performance since "The Fugitive," maybe since "Witness."  

The older I get the more I am convinced that God knows exactly what He is doing. I believe in His plan for us. Living forever on this earth sounds compelling, but only works in a movie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment