Pages

Sunday, May 10, 2015

LIFE LOGGER

Community Center Track adjacent to our house in Dover, PA 


Can't remember what we were talking about, but the other day my daughter, Melody said to me "the difference between a goal and a dream is a deadline". 

Since I retired, I've found that to be true in many ways, including my exercise schedule. While on the track last evening, I listened to a podcast about life logging and realized I have been doing this without knowing there was an official name.  I log every mile on my phone calendar. 

One of my favorite lines in the movie NOAH was Morgan Freeman's response to the question, "how can I possibly change the world?" His response? "One Act of Random Kindness at a time".  And for me, the key to changing my world has been consistently measuring everything, one day at a time. At my age I am very aware that one twisted ankle or pulled muscle will bring my routine to a halt. But I thank God for this day. 

This deadline thing plays out in many ways. I've always been impressed by our son's life goals. Our older daughter and her kids consistently participate in marathons. Even this blog is part of my routine. There is a reason I post daily, even though some days it is obvious there wasn't much going on in my life. But I am consistent.  



This is the counter app my wife and I use on the track nearby our house. Simple technology like this is very helpful. Using a special application, my brother and his wife have been in a healthy competition over their total steps for each day. 

Yesterday, we were on the track early (in the rain) and logged 2 miles. Later in the day I added 2 more miles on the treadmill at the YMCA. And last evening, 2 more miles again on the track. That brought my total to 26.3 miles for the week. Now before you think it is silly for me to take a whole week to complete a marathon, check out this math: 26 miles per week adds up to more than 100 miles per month! But the key has been consistently meeting a daily deadline.

Melody was right. A dream can become a goal. All it takes is one simple act. Everyday. 

No comments:

Post a Comment