Pages

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

ALL ON MY OWN


When we were in Mystic last summer I found this really interesting book.



"The Grace Awakening" is full of personal stories by Chuck Swindoll and I thought this one was interesting.  

"I'll never forget the day I came in, flashed my newly acquired permit and said, "Dad, look!"  He goes, "Whoa!  Look at this.  You got your license.  Good for you!"  Holding the keys to has car, he tossed them in my direction and smiled, "Tell you what son...you can have the car for two hours, all on your own."  His last four words resonated with me, "All on your own".

I thanked him, danced out to the garage, opened the car door and shoved the key into the ignition.  My pulse rate must have shot up to 180 as I backed out of the driveway and roared off.  While cruising along "all on my own" I began to think of wild stuff - like, this car can probably do 100 miles an hour.  But you know what?  I actually drove below the speed limit.  In fact, I remember turning into the driveway early....didn't even stay away two hours. Amazing!  

I had my dad's car all to myself - had total freedom - but I didn't go crazy. Why?  My relationship with my dad was such that I couldn't, because over a period of time there had developed a sense of trust, a deep love relationship that held me in restraint.

I've heard it said "Love God with all your heart....then do as you please."  The healthy restraint is in the first phrase, the freedom is in the second.  That's how to live a grace oriented, liberated life."

No comments:

Post a Comment