Pages

Thursday, April 16, 2015

THE POWER OF WORDS

Lots of Power in this Room
“One must be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.” Cassandra Clare, The Infernal Devices


On Facebook today Philip Yancey listed 51 sentences proposed as “beautiful.” Here are 10 that caught my attention.
“She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together.” J. D. Salinger, “A Girl I Knew”
“Sometimes I can feel my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I’m not living.” Jonathan Safran Foer, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
“The curves of your lips rewrite history.” Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
“If equal affection cannot be, let the more loving one be me.” W. H. Auden, “The More Loving One”
“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck, East of Eden
“Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering.” Nicole Krauss, The History of Love
 “The pieces I am, she gather them and gave them back to me in all the right order.” Toni Morrison, Beloved  
 “Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it yet.” L. M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
“It frightened him to think what must have gone to the making of her eyes.” Edith Wharton, The Age of Innocence
 “Journeys end in lovers meeting.”  William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night


Click HERE for Philip Yancey's Facebook page. 

No comments:

Post a Comment