Pages

Friday, June 26, 2015

LOVING RESTRICTIONS


Every week I enjoy creating sermon support for our church, and one year ago today while working on one of the PowerPoint slides, I heard a whiny meow.

Normally I don't pay much attention to our daughter's cat, but I glanced over to see her on the window sill, which got me to thinking about the upcoming sermon called "Permissible, But Not Beneficial". 


Most of the day the cat sits there and wonders what it would be like to roam around outside. But without claws and a brain (sorry Melody) she wouldn't last long.  We could let her outside, but it wouldn't benefit her for very long. 


For some reason this scripture in Jeremiah came to mind; "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future". 


The sermon for this week suggests that if we embrace God's plan for our life, there are things we will choose not to do. Not because they aren't permissible, but because God's loving restrictions are beneficial to us.


The cat just whined again.....still wants to go outside. Like most cats, she wants her own way, regardless. 


This reminded me of "Lovesick Father" from my favorite Yancey's book "What's So Amazing About Grace". Yancey created modern parables to illustrate the answer to the book title. This one is about a prodigal daughter. Click HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment