Pages

Sunday, May 18, 2014

MARATHON OIL, EGGS AND ICED TEA

Our Uncle DON RITCHEY was an interesting uncle.


He and his wife Betsy lived in Findlay, Ohio.  Uncle Don worked his way from the bottom of Marathon Oil to the prestigious office of Controller.  But he never lost his love for farming, which included raising chickens.  Most days you would see him coming to his office with crates of eggs that he gathered early each morning.  And in true controller form, he didn't give the eggs to fellow employees; he sold them.  

I recall visiting Uncle Don and Aunt Betsy a few months after we were married.  My wife really didn't like ice tea, but during a meal Aunt Betsy insisted she drink a glass.  But when Aunt Betsy went to the kitchen to get the main course, my wife poured her tea into my glass.  When Aunt Betsy returned she saw the empty glass and immediately filled it up, telling my wife how happy she was to have a new tea buddy.  I smiled at my wife and told her to enjoy her second cup of tea.

Uncle Don was a good brother to my dad, in some ways his mentor.  Even though he's been gone for many years now, he isn't forgotten.  And Aunt Betsy?  Wonder if there is ice tea in heaven?  If I find out, I guess I won't tell my wife.

No comments:

Post a Comment