Pages

Friday, February 28, 2014

FOUNDING BROTHERS - The Revolutionary Generation, JOHN ADAMS

FOUNDING BROTHERS: The Revolutionary Generation (by Joseph Ellis) has turned out to be a good read.  (Thank you Bud)  Today I came across these gems:

"the American constitution is a document designed by geniuses to be eventually interpreted by idiots”  

“Some models of self-control are able to achieve their serenity easily because the soul fires never burn brightly to begin with.”  

“Rather than adjust his expectations in the face of disappointment, he (Jefferson) tended to bury them deeper inside himself and regard the disjunction between his ideals and the worldly imperfections as the world's problems rather than his own.”  

“Washington's task was to transform the improbable into the inevitable.”  


JOHN ADAMS by David McCullough - Also read a few more chapters today from this book (Again, thank you Bud)  The more I find out about our founding fathers, the more I appreciate them.  Check out these thoughtful comments by John Adams: 

“The longer I live, the more I read, the more patiently I think and the more anxiously I inquire, the less I seem to know...  do justly. Love mercy. Walk humbly. This is enough”

“The source of our suffering has been our timidity. We have been afraid to think....Let us dare to read, think, speak, write”  

“That the hand of God was involved in the birth of the new nation he had no doubt"

No comments:

Post a Comment