Pages

Friday, January 31, 2014

MIND INSPIRED AND SPIRIT LIFTED AT MYSTIC, NIGHTMARE ON BLOCK ISLAND

What is Mystic Seaport?  Ask three people and chances are you’ll get three very different answers. To some, it’s a family destination offering all kinds of fun activities. To others, it’s a maritime museum. And to still others, it’s a maritime research center. In fact, it’s all three – located within 19 acres on the banks of Connecticut’s Mystic River.

Our family has vacationed twice in this town where we have made special memories.  Each time we were there it turned out to be a quintessential New England experience.  Many people don't realize that Mystic is only 6 hours from Central PA. 

Early in the morning I really enjoyed sitting on the dock watching the ships pass through canals which connect upscale townhouses to the ocean.  Except for the seagulls, it was just me and my friend. (Starbucks Coffee)  The water level is low in the canal, so you can see everything in each boat as they slowly pass by the dock.  I was fishing but didn't catch anything - since I was so fascinated with each boat as it headed for the ocean. 

There were plenty of shops for my wife and we even discovered an old used book store with treasures we still enjoy to this day.  If you are traveling east on Rt.95 remember this special place to visit.  Turn left on Rt. 27. 

NIGHTMARE ON BLOCK ISLAND - Our experience about 2 hours down the road from Mystic was one we would like to forget.  We traveled to Rhode Island and decided to take a ferry to Block Island.  Block Island has been called the "Bermuda of the North," but we had a bad experience getting to the island. 

It was a windy day and the waves were unusually high during the entire ferry ride.  About 10 minutes into our trip our daughter turned white.  My wife was fine for a while but soon turned white as well.  I grabbed some bags which filled quickly from what they had eaten earlier that day.  Even though it was only 13 miles from the shore to the island, it seemed like it took days to arrive.  The first thing my wife said when she got off the ferry was "I am NOT going back on that boat"  Did I mention we were on a island?

Now I had a problem.  I checked our options and was told the only alternative was a tiny plane at an airport in the middle of the island.  I called and got reservations for the next plane and arranged for transportation to the airport for my wife and daughter.  Then I took the next ferry back to the shore and drove until I found the airport where they would land.  (This area between Block Island and the Rhode Island shore was where John Kennedy and his wife crashed their plane.)

We finally were re-united but never really had an opportunity to check out the island.  I thought it would be interesting to do this a few years later, but my wife was clear I would be checking out the island on my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment